Monday, August 1, 2011

Under the Heat

That wasn't so bad. It is my first time to walk under the sweltering heat of the Middle East sun. It's the first day of Ramadan and the Government declared only 8 hours of work. It may be in the morning or midday to late afternoon shift. Our office timing is from 8AM to 2PM and the greeting you give to our Muslim brother? It's Ramadan Kareem or Ramadan is generous.

Normally, it is not allowed to eat and drink during this time. However, since most of us in the office are Christians, in our side that is, we are still served water, coffees, and teas. Out of respect to our Muslim brothers, who are into fasting, we do not eat. The downside of having Ramdan? Our big boss goes to our side of the office to have coffee and smoke cigarettes. His side of the office is also where the office of the local owner, a Muslim, is. Sadness.

After work, I walked my way home. Since it's very hot, I made my way to some side and inner streets so that buildings may shield me away from the rays of the sun. I am very conscious not to buy any drink or even candies. Anything to put in your mouth is a no-no. I noticed that almost all restaurants are closed but some groceries are open. I passed by Panaderia and the small bakery is covered with purple and white paper as if it is close. However, one can still smell the freshly baked 'pandesal' and a handwritten sign in Filipino said "Bukas po Kami". =)  I can't wait then till I experience Iftar. One of these days I promise to go out at night and experience Iftar.

I arrived home with plenty of time to rest, browse the net, blogged, and chat with my son. Not so bad doing this the whole month.

No comments:

Post a Comment